Daddy started to go to town or somewhere else more often than before. One day he locked me in and did not return for three days. I was very lonesome. I thought he had drowned. It was then that I made up my mind to leave the cabin. I tried to get out of the cabin many times, but I couldn't find a way out. There wasn't a window big enough for me to get through. Daddy never left a knife or a hammer behind when he went away.

When Daddy was home, we made it a rule to go to the river bank to see if there were some fish on the lines for breakfast. One morning he woke me up and we went up to the bank. I saw some pieces of wood and logs floating down. I knew the river had risen. The June rise always brought me a lot of money, because as soon as the rise began, some logs─sometimes a dozen logs─floated down together. All I had to do was to get them and sell them to the sawmill.
  All at once, there came a canoe, about thirteen or fourteen feet long. I jumped into the water and caught hold of the canoe. I was all wet, but it was all right. There was nobody in it. I climbed in and paddled it ashore. I thought, "Daddy would sell it─it is worth ten dollars." I decided to hide it in the little creek which was covered with the branches of willow trees. When Daddy came, I said, "I fell into the water and that's why I'm all wet."

  We caught five catfish and went home. After breakfast I thought of running off somewhere in the canoe. About twelve o'clock we went up to the bank again. The river was running pretty fast and lots of wood drifted. We went out in Daddy's small boat and got some of the logs and took them ashore.
  The next day Daddy locked me in and started for the sawmill in town to sell the logs. His small boat went very slow as it towed the raft, so I thought he wouldn't come back that night. As soon as he left, I took my saw and began to try to make a hole in the wall. After an hour I could make a hole which was big enough for me to get through. Now I was busy preparing my escape.

  I took a sack of cornmeal and carried it to the canoe. Then I took some bacon, coffee and sugar, some ammunition, two blankets and other useful things. I took the axe with me, too.
  I crawled out of the hole and dragged out my things. I worked hard to restore the wall and the floor to its former condition. Then I took the gun and went into the woods. I shot a wild pig and took it back to the cabin. I smashed the door open with the axe, then I cut the pig's throat. I laid it down on the floor near the table to let it bleed. Next I took an old sack and put a lot of big rocks in it. I dragged it to the door and through the woods down to the river. At last I pulled out some of my hair, put some of the pig's blood on the axe, and stuck it in the backyard. I threw the pig into the river so that nobody would see it. I did all these things, because I wanted to make Daddy think I was killed by someone and was taken away somewhere.

  It was getting darker and darker. I waited in the canoe for the moon to rise. I said to myself, "They will think that robbers killed me and will search the river for my dead body. But soon they'll get tired of it. Then I'll be free. Then I can go anywhere and live by myself."
  I was going to go to Jackson's Island when it was dark. I was so tired that I fell asleep. When I woke up, I didn't know where I was for a minute or two. After a while, I remembered that I was still in the canoe.

  The moon was bright, so I could count the drifting logs a hundred yards away from shore.

  I had no time to lose. In a great hurry I left the shore. I rowed the canoe slowly at first. Then I rowed it as fast as I could till I reached Jackson's Island. I got to shore on the Illinois side. I hid the canoe well so that nobody could find it. I sat down on a log at the head of the island. I looked over the dark river. About three miles away, I could see the town where several lights were twinkling.